Prague Congress Centre
- Conference programme
The construction of the Prague Congress Centre (formerly called Palace of Culture) began in 1976. The architectural team was composed of Jaroslav Mayer, Vladimír Ustohal, Antonín Vaněk and Josef Karlík. The building was completed in 1981 as one of the largest and most modern social centres in Europe. Prague Congress Centre has become a recognised venue where many great international congresses and conferences as well as cultural, social and sport events are organised. After Velvet Revolution in December 1989, negotiations on the composition of the first Czechoslovakian post-revolution government took place here
2000 – Annual meeting of the International Monetary Fund of the World Bank Group (MMF)
2002 – North Atlantic Treaty Organization Summit (NATO)
2009 – Presidency of the Council of the European Union
Church of St Anne - Prague Crossroads Centre
- Welcome Reception
The international spiritual centre, Prague Crossroads, is one of the projects of the Dagmar and Václav Havel Foundation Vision 97, which is also responsible for preserving and administering this unique space. It is located in the deconsecrated Church of St Anne, founded by St Wenceslas in 927 AD. The main inspiration for the creation of Prague Crossroads Centre came from the former Czech President - dissident, writer and dramatist Václav Havel. His concept was an evocative venue for all kinds of meetings, where lectures, discussions, concerts, performances, exhibitions, meditations and happenings can take place in a spirit of respect for the multicultural diversity of the modern world. Its main objective is to respond to the widely felt need for open-minded and creative dialogue among people of different faiths, convictions and professions about the present state of our civilisation, the dangers threatening it, and the hopes for the future.
Residence of the Mayor
- Private political session
The Residence of the Mayor of Prague is located in the new building of the Municipal Library, which was built between the years 1925 and 1928 by Prague Municipal Savings Bank as a gift for the capital city, on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the Bank’s existence and also to mark the 10th anniversary of the Czechoslovak Republic. The building as well as its artistic decor was designed by František Roith (1876–1942). The austere neoclassical facade of the large building, adorned only with a balcony with six allegorical figures by Ladislav Kofránek, hid a modern and for its time an excellently equipped multi-purpose space. The Mayor’s Residence occupies the whole of the first and second floor of the front part of the library. It has a separate entrance from the corner of Platnéřská and Žatecká Street. The first floor contains representative and reception rooms, the second floor contains the Mayor’s private apartment, private study and three apartments for the Mayor’s guests. The interior combines elements of late Art Nouveau with a strong influence of the fashionable Czech Art Deco of the 1920’s. Out of all the Mayors, only Karel Baxa, first post-war Mayor occupied the new official residence, all the other Mayors until present use it only formally. However, the residence has regularly served to accommodate official foreign visits and most of all for protocol and representative purposes.
From 1994 to 1995, the Mayor’s Residence underwent a general renovation, including a delicate renovation of all the artistic decorations and a necessary modernization of the technical equipment.
- Gala Dinner and EUROCITIES Awards Ceremony
One of the most significant Art Nouveau buildings in Prague, serving above all for representative purposes and cultural events (concerts, exhibitions). Built in 1905–1912, based on the project of the winners of an architectural design competition, arch. Antonín Balšánek and arch. Osvald Polívka. Decorations done by prominent Czech painters and sculptors of the beginning of the 20th century: Mikoláš Aleš, Max Švabinský, František Ženíšek, Ladislav Šaloun, Karel Novák, Josef Mařatka, Josef Václav Myslbek, Alfons Mucha and Jan Preisler.
The Municipal House was a direct witness to two historical milestones of the Czechoslovak statehood: on 28 October 1918 the independence of Czechoslovakia was declared here and in November 1989 the first meetings between the members of the communist government and representatives of the Civic Forum headed by Václav Havel took place here. The Municipal House underwent a large renovation in 1994 – 1997.